Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,945
Posts13,956,128
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Galveston fishing vacation...boat....launching at causeway....then what? Help please #10264806 09/07/14 05:13 AM
C
Clay at twok Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Im from Dallas and only third trip to salt....fished Sabine wth success twice before... Inlaws rented a beach house for the week so here we are. Launching at fat boys tomorrow and thinking of heading up to bayou vista to stay out of the north wind. Will we find em there?

Clay Grigson
Trophy Catfish Guide and fresh gizzard Shad Dealer
twokguide.com

Re: Galveston fishing vacation...boat....launching at causeway....then what? Help please [Re: Clay at twok] #10265088 09/07/14 02:14 PM
S
smooth move Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
work the entire shoreline from fatboys to the diversionary canal. also the rocks at N Deer Island and the reefs just south of N Deer, just south of that is confederate reef, always worth a shot on a rising tide. good luck.

es le bon ton roulet
Re: Galveston fishing vacation...boat....launching at causeway....then what? Help please [Re: Clay at twok] #10265483 09/07/14 06:44 PM
C
Clay at twok Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Thx....really really surprised at the 2 1/2ft water everywhere except in the boat channels. Didn't catch a thing. The rocks at north deer island were still to far to cast to and I was already in 2ft of water??? I was expecting 6ft at least. Pretty stagnant tide activity around normal tide....heavy falling tide starting at 4 this afternoon and I have no clue where I'm going yet. Researching now

Clay Grigson
twokguide.com

Re: Galveston fishing vacation...boat....launching at causeway....then what? Help please [Re: Clay at twok] #10266082 09/07/14 09:40 PM
C
Chuckybrown Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
A bit further North just parallel with Moses lake, we caught nonstop yesterday. Boated 30 fish between the two of us, 5 or 6 specks, the rest good sized sand trout. Threw back some undersized specks.

Artificials working the drop-off made for not stop-hookups.

Boat near us landed a 15 - 17 lb triple tail at a channel marker.

Sorry you didn't have more success.

Re: Galveston fishing vacation...boat....launching at causeway....then what? Help please [Re: Clay at twok] #10267354 09/08/14 02:04 PM
C
Clay at twok Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Thanks for the advice!! I seriously am very very surprised that there aren't any warning signs around all the super shallow areas in that bay!!!! Extremely dangerous water for the first timer. I took it really easy but had I not it could have been really bad. And less than two foot of water right in front of the public boat ramp near fat boys??? Reticulous!!! We came down early and have been staying in a hotel in La Marque so been fishing west bay but today we shift to a beach house her parents have rented for the week on the beach on E. Seaside drive and will obviously be on the other end of the island. I was thinking of trying to fish some rocks along the channel between the islands over there that I have spotted on google earth. A little worried about venturing too too far up north. Thinking we'll launch at the yacht club over there. Pretty frustrated so far but super appreciate the advice.....I may fish this afternoon. If she lets me. I bet I at least chunk something out into the surf even if it's tonight late.

Clay Grigson
twokguide.com

Re: Galveston fishing vacation...boat....launching at causeway....then what? Help please [Re: Clay at twok] #10269662 09/09/14 04:29 AM
C
Clay at twok Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Great evening hunt!! We launched at Galveston yacht basin and hauled it to the end of the east beach jetty...and just sat there til around 7:30.....we're catchihg small trout with ease on voodoo shrimp and she had live shrimp on a cork as well. Sheepshead were everywhere visibly but wouldn't hit my voodoo or hers....strange I thought. I ended up catching one down deeper on a dead shrimp and drifted out a little deeper towards the end there and caught the biggest and only bull red I've ever caught.....23lbs smile....fun fun fight!! I'll post pics once I fugure out how to. End of the jetty In a 1988 skeeter fish and ski.....twas very calm today otherwise no way and I appreciated the opportunity. Maybe tomorrow afternoon will afford the same luck.

Clay Grigson
twokguide.com

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide