Forums59
Topics1,039,250
Posts13,961,541
Members144,197
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Galveston the week of 9/7 with my skeeter...need help with this slick concept? #10250311 08/31/14 04:41 AM
C
Clay at twok Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
I'm beginning to research what exactly a slick looks like....just in case. Thx

Clay Grigson
Trophy Catfish Guide and fresh gizzard Shad Dealer
twokguide.com

Re: Galveston the week of 9/7 with my skeeter...need help with this slick concept? [Re: Clay at twok] #10250482 08/31/14 12:27 PM
C
Chuckybrown Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Ok, first, you will be much better off with polarized sunglasses. They really help you see "slicks".

Slicks are made when fish are feeding in schools off the bottom, stirring things up, and the oil from what they are eating and regurgitating float to the surface.

These will be shiny spots on the water, often rectangular in nature, as the fish move in a school in one direction. Think of little mirror spots that pop up on the water.

I like to work my way upwind of the slick, and cast into the windward side of the slick. If you're lucky, you'll see the slick grow, and know which direction the fish are headed.

When trout "slick", and you are downwind, you can smell a watermelon smell.

Fishing slicks can be highly effective if you catch them early, and you can get in position to cast into the front of the slick. With reds, you can often see those big boys in the water moving in the slick.

Good luck!

Don't forget, it's that time of year to work the birds, either on the water, or along the grasslines as they follow feeding fish.

Last edited by Chuckybrown; 08/31/14 12:28 PM.
Re: Galveston the week of 9/7 with my skeeter...need help with this slick concept? [Re: Clay at twok] #10250505 08/31/14 12:53 PM
P
Pat Goff Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
You aren't thinking of dunking a skeeter BASS rig in the bay are you?

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: Galveston the week of 9/7 with my skeeter...need help with this slick concept? [Re: Clay at twok] #10250612 08/31/14 02:12 PM
C
Clay at twok Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Thanks Chucky! And yes I am going to dunk an 88 model in the bay. I had it in Sabine twice last year and all is still good. My in-laws are loaded and have rented a huge house on east beach for the week and I've been doing a ton of research as to where to target fish. I always have done well vertical jigging the rip rap in the ICW of Sabine pass so am thinking I'll do the same Galveston as well

Clay Grigson
twokguide.com

Re: Galveston the week of 9/7 with my skeeter...need help with this slick concept? [Re: Clay at twok] #10250691 08/31/14 03:12 PM
C
Chuckybrown Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Clay, do us all a favor, and watch the radar. Sabine is a pond compared to our bay system, i.e. Galveston bay is big, and the winds can stir up big waves in a hurry. I've gotten soaked in 23' Triton bay boats....and a low sided bass boat is more vulnerable.

Not second guessing your prowess, simply suggesting that we all don't know what we don't know, know what I mean?

Be careful, and post some pics!

Last edited by Chuckybrown; 08/31/14 03:15 PM.
Re: Galveston the week of 9/7 with my skeeter...need help with this slick concept? [Re: Clay at twok] #10250734 08/31/14 03:49 PM
C
Clay at twok Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
For sure! My boat is a 17 footer and will surely watch the weather. I'm just praying for light winds so we can move around a bit and be comfortable. I've owned boats for 25 years and am experienced enough to know our limits. Looking forward to it!

Clay Grigson
twokguide.com

Re: Galveston the week of 9/7 with my skeeter...need help with this slick concept? [Re: Clay at twok] #10262345 09/05/14 10:57 PM
R
RonMexico Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
R
If you have a box frame trailer that is not galvanized aluminum, kiss it good bye. I made this mistake once years ago.

Re: Galveston the week of 9/7 with my skeeter...need help with this slick concept? [Re: Clay at twok] #10262348 09/05/14 10:58 PM
R
RonMexico Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
R
It is not smart to take a bass boat out there either. Save your gas money and just hire a guide.

Re: Galveston the week of 9/7 with my skeeter...need help with this slick concept? [Re: Clay at twok] #10263129 09/06/14 12:46 PM
C
Clay at twok Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
I'm a very experienced boater and will be sure to pay attention to wind direction and aim to launch and fish
In somewhat protected areas.......trailer has a open frame

Clay Grigson
twokguide.com

Re: Galveston the week of 9/7 with my skeeter...need help with this slick concept? [Re: Clay at twok] #10264809 09/07/14 05:18 AM
C
Clay at twok Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
We're here.....launching at fat boys in am.....north wind so gonna head up to bayou vista and thinking of throwing plastics at the rip rap and shooting docks?
Any suggestions much appreciated

Clay Grigson
twokguide.com

Re: Galveston the week of 9/7 with my skeeter...need help with this slick concept? [Re: Clay at twok] #10265276 09/07/14 04:23 PM
P
Pat Goff Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Dunking that bass rig in galveston bay is a stupid idea, it's dead, you just don't know it yet.

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: Galveston the week of 9/7 with my skeeter...need help with this slick concept? [Re: Clay at twok] #10266108 09/07/14 09:45 PM
C
Chuckybrown Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Put in at Topwater Grille. Google it, you'll find it. Head toward Smith Point Google it, you'll find it. Look for the reef markers in the area as you close in on Smith Point, there are many of them. Fish the drop-offs. Artificials were producing big-time yesterday. But, that was yesterday...

Watch out for storms. That bass rig in the weather we've been having.....dangerous.

Last edited by Chuckybrown; 09/07/14 09:47 PM.
Re: Galveston the week of 9/7 with my skeeter...need help with this slick concept? [Re: Clay at twok] #10267363 09/08/14 02:07 PM
C
Clay at twok Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Thanks for the advice!! I seriously am very very surprised that there aren't any warning signs around all the super shallow areas in that bay!!!! Extremely dangerous water for the first timer. I took it really easy but had I not it could have been really bad. And less than two foot of water right in front of the public boat ramp near fat boys??? Reticulous!!! We came down early and have been staying in a hotel in La Marque so been fishing west bay but today we shift to a beach house her parents have rented for the week on the beach on E. Seaside drive and will obviously be on the other end of the island. I was thinking of trying to fish some rocks along the channel between the islands over there that I have spotted on google earth. A little worried about venturing too too far up north. Thinking we'll launch at the yacht club over there. Pretty frustrated so far but super appreciate the advice.....I may fish this afternoon. If she lets me. I bet I at least chunk something out into the surf even if it's tonight late.....we may try that smith point idea though. I'm about to look it up. Thx Chucky....I'll be updating daily

Clay Grigson
twokguide.com

Re: Galveston the week of 9/7 with my skeeter...need help with this slick concept? [Re: Clay at twok] #10269659 09/09/14 04:28 AM
C
Clay at twok Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Great evening hunt!! We launched at Galveston yacht basin and hauled it to the end of the east beach jetty...and just sat there til around 7:30.....we're catchihg small trout with ease on voodoo shrimp and she had live shrimp on a cork as well. Sheepshead were everywhere visibly but wouldn't hit my voodoo or hers....strange I thought. I ended up catching one down deeper on a dead shrimp and drifted out a little deeper towards the end there and caught the biggest and only bull red I've ever caught.....23lbs smile....fun fun fight!! I'll post pics once I fugure out how to. End of the jetty In a 1988 skeeter fish and ski.....twas very calm today otherwise no way and I appreciated the opportunity. Maybe tomorrow afternoon will afford the same luck.

Clay Grigson
twokguide.com

Re: Galveston the week of 9/7 with my skeeter...need help with this slick concept? [Re: Clay at twok] #10270114 09/09/14 01:50 PM
P
Pferox Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Glad your trip is producing something, boating around here is a learning experience to say the least. I have yet to experience that challenge, but hope to eventually.

Sheepshead have to have the shell feeling to crunch on, and for some reason they usually can sense when it isn't there. I catch most of mine on dead or live shrimp, or very small crab. I used to use a smaller hook and actually thread barnacles on the hook when I lived in Florida, chummed up with a few of those Barnacles and the feed was on...... haven't had the opportunity to try this here in Texas though.

Hope your trip keeps producing better and better for you.

Duct tape is like the Force, it has a Dark Side, A Light Side, and holds the Universe together. Carl Zwanzig
www.mtpocketstackle.com
www.facebook.com/MtPocketsTackleCompany
Re: Galveston the week of 9/7 with my skeeter...need help with this slick concept? [Re: Clay at twok] #10291401 09/18/14 11:07 AM
O
Olhipi Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
Running North to Trinity Bay for Reds and Flounder ,Contour maps help on your fishfinder, But you still gotta watch for Shell Reefs, Spoils and Wells, Stay in the deeper Channels and Guts when moving from spot to spot when Possible and use a lot of "Corrosion X" on everything, under dash, Trolling motor,lighting sockets, under engine cowling, seat pedistals,Trailer Jack, etc. it's worth the Effort. Wind is your Worst Enemy( Get a Forecast). Be Safe and Wear your PFD while Underway. Good Fishing Bud.

Lake Dunlap, State Record Holder "Warmouth Perch". If you Ain't Fishing You Ain't Living....
Some Say I Have a "Crappie Attitude" !!!!
They'd Be Right...... 2014 TC 18 Crestliner 90 Merc 4-stroke
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide