Forums59
Topics1,039,304
Posts13,962,597
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Tow Vehicle - F150 vs. Tundra [Re: BassBucknBeer] #10587513 02/02/15 01:56 PM
S
Samsonsworld Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: BassBucknBeer
They make stronger pistons and blocks and much more efficient cooling systems than they did 10 yrs ago. Also, direct injection, better air and fuel flow and better computer systems monitoring. Thats why they are as reliable as they were 10 yrs ago with more hp.

I was simply pointing out if you want to hear a horror story, all you have to do is Google any engine.

So an engine can be built stronger to handle the additional power? Gee, why didn't Ford didn't think about that when they were designing the ecoboost? Of yeah....they did. Stronger block, strong cylinders/piston, improved cooling system, straight off the engine's introduction. And what about the mechanical aspect of it? Because of the additional low end torque, the ecoboost will turn fewer revolutions given the same work as a NA v8?

Re: Tow Vehicle - F150 vs. Tundra [Re: Samsonsworld] #10587793 02/02/15 03:41 PM
B
BassBucknBeer Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Samsonsworld
They make stronger pistons and blocks and much more efficient cooling systems than they did 10 yrs ago. Also, direct injection, better air and fuel flow and better computer systems monitoring. Thats why they are as reliable as they were 10 yrs ago with more hp.

I was simply pointing out if you want to hear a horror story, all you have to do is Google any engine.

So an engine can be built stronger to handle the additional power? Gee, why didn't Ford didn't think about that when they were designing the ecoboost? Of yeah....they did. Stronger block, strong cylinders/piston, improved cooling system, straight off the engine's introduction. And what about the mechanical aspect of it? Because of the additional low end torque, the ecoboost will turn fewer revolutions given the same work as a NA v8?

You are correct, you can find a problem with any vehicle.

Ford used Forged crank and rods, but cast pistons.
Toyota used Forged crank and rods, and cast pistons,

So, no the ecoboost internals aren't any stronger.

Yes, the Ecoboost dynochart will show a peak TQ at 2900ish rpms and you have to wait all the way until 3600Rpms to get to peak TQ in the Tundra... Not that much difference.... You have to remember, those turbos have to be spooled in order for the motor to benefit. So If you are at 3000 rpms, you don't have 420 ft-lbs unless you have it floored.
Guess how much TQ the Ecoboost drops off at close to redline... OVER 125 ft/lbs!!!(because the turbo's are inefficient at high rpms) The Tundra Loses about 30 ft/lbs... Who has the flatter TQ curve?

they both turn about 2000RPMs at 70mph also.

Last edited by BassBucknBeer; 02/02/15 03:48 PM.
Re: Tow Vehicle - F150 vs. Tundra [Re: BassBucknBeer] #10588118 02/02/15 05:42 PM
S
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S

Yes, the Ecoboost dynochart will show a peak TQ at 2900ish rpms and you have to wait all the way until 3600Rpms to get to peak TQ in the Tundra... Not that much difference.... You have to remember, those turbos have to be spooled in order for the motor to benefit. So If you are at 3000 rpms, you don't have 420 ft-lbs unless you have it floored.
Guess how much TQ the Ecoboost drops off at close to redline... OVER 125 ft/lbs!!!(because the turbo's are inefficient at high rpms) The Tundra Loses about 30 ft/lbs... Who has the flatter TQ curve?

Where in the world did you dream that up? The ecoboost's peak torque is at 2500 rpm and is over 90% of it's peak torque from 1700 to over 5,000 rpms. That's one heck of a flat curve. Who cares what a truck does at redline. The Tundra or any other NA gasser can't touch the low-end of a turbo. The ecoboost can produce significantly more torque at 2000rpm's at 70mph, which is why it is a better tow engine.

http://www.f150hub.com/specs/ecoboost.html

Re: Tow Vehicle - F150 vs. Tundra [Re: BassBucknBeer] #10588142 02/02/15 05:52 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
R
Just google F150 limp mode. The problem with Turbo vehicles these days is we have such inconsistent quality of fuel the manufactures have a hard time tuning them for power safely. Especially in the south where we have extreme heat(the heat actually exaggerates the problems). Turbos compress high amounts of air into the engine and in order to get the air to fuel ratio correct they have to inject much more fuel to get the AFR. The reason ecoboost vehicles get poor mileage under load is because they have to inject WAY more fuel in the Cylinder just to keep it cool and not detonating. When you get a bad tank of gas, it makes the fuel detonate much easier. Detonation in a turbo vehicle is devastating if not controlled. So they have sensors that monitor "ping" (Detonation). When pinging is heard, the computer automatically retards timing and sometimes cuts turbo boost. If this continues to happen over a long period of time, the vehicle goes into "limp mode" Basically a protection mode to keep you from burning a piston. It Cuts all power and turns it into a Dog.

V8's still have to deal with bad fuel, but it isn't as extreme consequences as turbo vehicles.

Look at something else: longevity of the engine. Engine parts wear because of use and wear more from being worked harder.

Lets say you compare a 3.5 liter turbo v6 to a 5.7 liter NA v8

take the engine power and divide by the number of cylinders
V6: 365/6= 60.83hp per cylinder
v8: 381/8= 47.63hp per cylinder

v6: 420/6= 70 ft lbs/ cylinder
v8: 401/8= 50.1 ft lbs/ cylinder

as you can see the v6 is always working harder than the v8 which will shorten its life compared to the v8.

I used to be a ecu programmer for an aftermarket turbo subaru's and Mitsubishi's and I've seen some very impressive numbers come from small turbo vehicles, but I promise you that a vehicle that has more cylinders making the same power will live much longer.

Does the ecoboost intake a fuel air mix like most gasoline motors? or does it draw in air only on the intake stroke which is compressed and then the fuel is injected like in modern diesel trucks?

If its injected wouldn't you have no detonation?

Last edited by redchevy; 02/02/15 05:55 PM.
Re: Tow Vehicle - F150 vs. Tundra [Re: Samsonsworld] #10588207 02/02/15 06:12 PM
B
BassBucknBeer Offline
Angler
Angler
B

Where in the world did you dream that up? The ecoboost's peak torque is at 2500 rpm and is over 90% of it's peak torque from 1700 to over 5,000 rpms. That's one heck of a flat curve. Who cares what a truck does at redline. The Tundra or any other NA gasser can't touch the low-end of a turbo. The ecoboost can produce significantly more torque at 2000rpm's at 70mph, which is why it is a better tow engine.

http://www.f150hub.com/specs/ecoboost.html

I based my findings on this website that did an independent dyno test with ford engineers present and 2 identical vehicles.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/04/how...v8-engines.html

and from the same website but a different type dyno this:

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/04/wha...-liter-v-6.html

An interesting quote from this second article...

"There are two interesting items to note about our EcoBoost's dyno results. First, peak torque occured further up the power band (4,150 rpm) than what Ford claims at the crankshaft (2,500 rpm). Second, horsepower showed an interesting downward blip around 5,000 rpm before hitting its peak at 5,125 rpm. "

Re: Tow Vehicle - F150 vs. Tundra [Re: redchevy] #10588255 02/02/15 06:25 PM
B
BassBucknBeer Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Just google F150 limp mode. The problem with Turbo vehicles these days is we have such inconsistent quality of fuel the manufactures have a hard time tuning them for power safely. Especially in the south where we have extreme heat(the heat actually exaggerates the problems). Turbos compress high amounts of air into the engine and in order to get the air to fuel ratio correct they have to inject much more fuel to get the AFR. The reason ecoboost vehicles get poor mileage under load is because they have to inject WAY more fuel in the Cylinder just to keep it cool and not detonating. When you get a bad tank of gas, it makes the fuel detonate much easier. Detonation in a turbo vehicle is devastating if not controlled. So they have sensors that monitor "ping" (Detonation). When pinging is heard, the computer automatically retards timing and sometimes cuts turbo boost. If this continues to happen over a long period of time, the vehicle goes into "limp mode" Basically a protection mode to keep you from burning a piston. It Cuts all power and turns it into a Dog.

V8's still have to deal with bad fuel, but it isn't as extreme consequences as turbo vehicles.

Look at something else: longevity of the engine. Engine parts wear because of use and wear more from being worked harder.

Lets say you compare a 3.5 liter turbo v6 to a 5.7 liter NA v8

take the engine power and divide by the number of cylinders
V6: 365/6= 60.83hp per cylinder
v8: 381/8= 47.63hp per cylinder

v6: 420/6= 70 ft lbs/ cylinder
v8: 401/8= 50.1 ft lbs/ cylinder

as you can see the v6 is always working harder than the v8 which will shorten its life compared to the v8.

I used to be a ecu programmer for an aftermarket turbo subaru's and Mitsubishi's and I've seen some very impressive numbers come from small turbo vehicles, but I promise you that a vehicle that has more cylinders making the same power will live much longer.

Does the ecoboost intake a fuel air mix like most gasoline motors? or does it draw in air only on the intake stroke which is compressed and then the fuel is injected like in modern diesel trucks?

If its injected wouldn't you have no detonation?

It is indeed a direct injection motor, however even with direct injection you can still have detonation with poor fuel quality or too much timing. The EB engines are notorious of turbo failure and carbon buildup due from direct injection. (lots of vehicles with DI have this problem not just the ecoboost)

Modern Diesel motors are not immune from predetonation

Re: Tow Vehicle - F150 vs. Tundra [Re: JB in Ft Worth] #10588317 02/02/15 06:37 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
R
Funny I have never heard of a complaint about predetonation in any diesel topic or the ecoboost. How many engines does it effect? Im thinking someone may be making mountains out of mole hills to dog on the EB.

Re: Tow Vehicle - F150 vs. Tundra [Re: redchevy] #10588322 02/02/15 06:39 PM
S
Stump jumper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Funny I have never heard of a complaint about predetonation in any diesel topic or the ecoboost. How many engines does it effect? Im thinking someone may be making mountains out of mole hills to dog on the EB.
I do not know about the 6 but the problems with the 4 in the Escape are well documented.

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Re: Tow Vehicle - F150 vs. Tundra [Re: BassBucknBeer] #10588492 02/02/15 07:29 PM
S
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
Well...here's a Tundra dyno. It says the 5.7l produces no power under 2000 rpms. I found it on the internet, so it must be true.

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/w...tundra-dyno.jpg

Re: Tow Vehicle - F150 vs. Tundra [Re: JB in Ft Worth] #10588508 02/02/15 07:35 PM
S
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
Been on a lot of f150 boards. Turbo failure is an extremely rare complaint on the 3.5l.

Don't forget, Ford is so sure of the 3.5l that they dropped the 6.2l from their half ton line up.

Re: Tow Vehicle - F150 vs. Tundra [Re: Samsonsworld] #10588534 02/02/15 07:44 PM
B
BassBucknBeer Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Well...here's a Tundra dyno. It says the 5.7l produces no power under 2000 rpms. I found it on the internet, so it must be true.

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/w...tundra-dyno.jpg
lol, that's where the dyno operator hit the "record" button. It would be safe to assume the power curve continues downward on the same axis to the left. Same goes for the dyno I posted earlier for the ecoboost. Except the ecoboost makes about 60 ft/lbs @ 2000rpms and the 5.7 makes over 200 ft/lbs@2000rpms...lol

Last edited by BassBucknBeer; 02/02/15 07:46 PM.
Re: Tow Vehicle - F150 vs. Tundra [Re: Samsonsworld] #10588567 02/02/15 07:59 PM
B
BassBucknBeer Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Been on a lot of f150 boards. Turbo failure is an extremely rare complaint on the 3.5l.

Don't forget, Ford is so sure of the 3.5l that they dropped the 6.2l from their half ton line up.

Also, Don't forget that Ford didn't create the EcoBoost because it wanted to make a truck with a turbo v6. The CAFE 2025 fuel economy standards "created" the ecoboost. They are required to make a full size truck get 30.1 MPG by 2025 and that wasn't going to happen with the 6.2ltr, or the 5.4, or the coyote 5.0 (which is a great engine,BTW). They marketed it as a tough/powerful truck so people would buy it. AND IT WORKED. There is no doubt you can make a turbo v6 have more power and TQ than you can a NA v8. But there are downsides like reduced life, which was my original point.

Re: Tow Vehicle - F150 vs. Tundra [Re: JB in Ft Worth] #10588590 02/02/15 08:09 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
R
Seems to me that your original point assumes they are constructed out of the same materials though.

Yes maybe they both have a block and crank made out of the same material, but those aren't typically engine life determining components... either they are strong enough or they aren't. I don't see a lot of motors with bricken cranks. All the motors I have retired have been due to suffering performance, oil consumption, loss of fuel mileage, not a broken crank or cracked block.

Re: Tow Vehicle - F150 vs. Tundra [Re: redchevy] #10588703 02/02/15 08:50 PM
B
BassBucknBeer Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Seems to me that your original point assumes they are constructed out of the same materials though.

Yes maybe they both have a block and crank made out of the same material, but those aren't typically engine life determining components... either they are strong enough or they aren't. I don't see a lot of motors with bricken cranks. All the motors I have retired have been due to suffering performance, oil consumption, loss of fuel mileage, not a broken crank or cracked block.

Well, crank shaft and rods do matter, but since you don't think so, we won't even discuss that. We used to not see them forged as much as we do now so someone thought they are important to be strong. You are helping me prove my point. The motors you retired all had pretty much the same problem: Worn rings and cylinder walls. Worn rings will cause low compression and oil blow-by causing low power, oil consumption, and loss of mileage. This comes from normal use (age) and lack of maintenance.
I said they both use cast alluminum pistons. Most all engines these days use some form of steel cylinder sleeves and steel piston rings I'm sure the Ford uses these too (theres really not many other options). These days they are using different type of coatings on the pistons and rings to help with heat.
Now, like I said before what makes turbo cars wear out faster is because they have the same amount of power spread over less cylinders. Same amount of fuel, heat, wear pressing against 6 pistons and their rings instead of 8...I'm not even mentioning all the bearings that there are less of taking the beating because there are less of them too.
In our next round lets discuss the difference in heat created by a turbo vs NA motors and their challanges. That's a whole 'nother discussion.

Re: Tow Vehicle - F150 vs. Tundra [Re: JB in Ft Worth] #10588714 02/02/15 08:54 PM
S
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
I don't think it was a record button. Most dynos aren't accurate at low rpms, which is why most start to read around 2-3k rpms. In fact, they talk about the complications of setting the dyno up in the first article. They are trying to load up the engine with resistance enough to get some readings. Changing set-ups between the 2 engines will not give results that can be compared as apples to apples. Notice they go on to say "we're not saying that EcoBoost doesn't make its published torque on the road in the real world".

Speaking of, I'd put mine in a real world test at low rpms vs a stock tundra, any day. Go drive one, it'll make a believer of you.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide