Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Good Electronics ??? #10180162 08/01/14 04:55 AM
newbiefisher Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
I've been reading a lot of articles trying to learn as much as possible and almost all of them say "You must have good electronics to locate them."

So what is good electronics? Is a $500 fish finder one? If not at what price point are they considered to be "good electronics"??

How come I keep catching small fish when every product I buy is supposed to catch more and bigger fish?
Re: Good Electronics ??? [Re: newbiefisher] #10180278 08/01/14 11:56 AM
W
Wayne P. Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
W
Any sonar unit will "locate them" IF you learn how to use them and know enough about the species to look in the right areas.
The price range can go from less than $100 to $10,000+

Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G3N and G4N, 1198c SI, SOLIX 10 SI G3,
Helix 8 MEGA SI+ GPS G4N, SOLIX 12 SI and G3, MEGA 360, MEGA LIVE TL, RC-1
Re: Good Electronics ??? [Re: newbiefisher] #10182588 08/02/14 04:12 AM
newbiefisher Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
What if you don't know the right areas to look for and rely on the sonar to find them?

How come I keep catching small fish when every product I buy is supposed to catch more and bigger fish?
Re: Good Electronics ??? [Re: newbiefisher] #10183534 08/02/14 07:17 PM
F
forkduc Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
You will need to spend $1,500 plus for good electronics. Then you will need to learn how to set and read them.

Re: Good Electronics ??? [Re: newbiefisher] #10185372 08/03/14 06:06 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
The sonar is not going to tell you where to look for them, that will only come with the knowledge of a particular species, and is often made more clear with time on the water.

The first thing I'd ask in all of this is just what species you plan on targeting the most?

The best electronics will not magically put fish under your boat. Time and effort are still required to have a good idea of what your target species will be doing at a given point in time. Aimlessly cruising around will certainly allow you to stumble on fish now and again, but that will get tough when the fish are changing patterns or moving around a lot. And even then, you'll be marking fish, but might not have a good idea of what species they are. Learning the species, their patterns, and the body of water takes time. Two of those three items will usually make figuring the third out a good bit easier though.

For a single unit, $1,500 would be a high end minimum budget in my opinion. Many, many people catch fish regularly without spending over a grand. It's certainly nice to have all the features offered in those high end units, but not completely necessary to find and catch fish. I remember when having a flasher on a boat meant you were high tech, then a monochrome graph, then color sonar, now it's side imaging/down imaging & gps. But the reality is, good fishermen caught fish regularly before each form of updated technology came out. Having the latest technology does make things a little easier (a lot in some cases), but is certainly not a requirement to boating fish.

$500, if spent wisely, can get you a decent new unit, but can also get you some added features if you start looking at units that are a generation or two in the past. If you bring that budget up to about $700-800, then you open up a new set of features/options.

I'm no expert at boating electronics, not by a long shot. Just an average working joe who loves to fish. I operate on a budget just like most people in similar circumstances. Outfitting my boat with $2000-3000 worth just wasn't in cards. In no way do I think that the highest end electronics are a bad thing or wasted money, I'd love to have a couple units on my boat that look like plasma TV's and have more computing power than my new laptop. But they aren't necessary to having a good time on the water, or to catch fish. Not for someone who's willing to learn.

In a marathon; Someone with a real knowledge of species and the body of water, with "mediocre" electronics, will usually out-catch someone with the best electronics who has no working knowledge to fall back on.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!
Re: Good Electronics ??? [Re: psycho0819] #10185975 08/03/14 11:54 PM
C
CADD Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Originally Posted By: psycho0819
The sonar is not going to tell you where to look for them, that will only come with the knowledge of a particular species, and is often made more clear with time on the water.

The first thing I'd ask in all of this is just what species you plan on targeting the most?

The best electronics will not magically put fish under your boat. Time and effort are still required to have a good idea of what your target species will be doing at a given point in time. Aimlessly cruising around will certainly allow you to stumble on fish now and again, but that will get tough when the fish are changing patterns or moving around a lot. And even then, you'll be marking fish, but might not have a good idea of what species they are. Learning the species, their patterns, and the body of water takes time. Two of those three items will usually make figuring the third out a good bit easier though.

For a single unit, $1,500 would be a high end minimum budget in my opinion. Many, many people catch fish regularly without spending over a grand. It's certainly nice to have all the features offered in those high end units, but not completely necessary to find and catch fish. I remember when having a flasher on a boat meant you were high tech, then a monochrome graph, then color sonar, now it's side imaging/down imaging & gps. But the reality is, good fishermen caught fish regularly before each form of updated technology came out. Having the latest technology does make things a little easier (a lot in some cases), but is certainly not a requirement to boating fish.

$500, if spent wisely, can get you a decent new unit, but can also get you some added features if you start looking at units that are a generation or two in the past. If you bring that budget up to about $700-800, then you open up a new set of features/options.

I'm no expert at boating electronics, not by a long shot. Just an average working joe who loves to fish. I operate on a budget just like most people in similar circumstances. Outfitting my boat with $2000-3000 worth just wasn't in cards. In no way do I think that the highest end electronics are a bad thing or wasted money, I'd love to have a couple units on my boat that look like plasma TV's and have more computing power than my new laptop. But they aren't necessary to having a good time on the water, or to catch fish. Not for someone who's willing to learn.

In a marathon; Someone with a real knowledge of species and the body of water, with "mediocre" electronics, will usually out-catch someone with the best electronics who has no working knowledge to fall back on.

Well said! And I think very true!

Travis

2001 Pathfinder 2200V 150Vmax HDPI
2015 Diablo Amigo (Sand Fleck)

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide