Page 1 of 2 1 2
Best hooks for jug lines? #10170135 07/28/14 10:17 AM
B
big_whiskers Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
I am going to be putting out juglines this weekend. I was wondering if I should use circle hooks or regular trotline hooks. I will be using live bait

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Best hooks for jug lines? [Re: big_whiskers] #10170147 07/28/14 10:53 AM
B
BigDave1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I'd use circle hooks. Just be sure you match the hook size to the bait size to keep the gap open on the hook.

Re: Best hooks for jug lines? [Re: BigDave1] #10170165 07/28/14 11:16 AM
B
big_whiskers Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Thanks, I will try them, as i wasn't sure if they would hook themselves without a little pressure being applied.

Re: Best hooks for jug lines? [Re: big_whiskers] #10170223 07/28/14 12:16 PM
O
opus Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
O
Originally Posted By: big_whiskers
Thanks, I will try them, as i wasn't sure if they would hook themselves without a little pressure being applied.
they wont, need to have as little slack in line as possible OR use a big weight, I do both mine are adjustable from 2ft to 80ft and use a 3# weight

Re: Best hooks for jug lines? [Re: big_whiskers] #10170235 07/28/14 12:20 PM
K
kodys'papa Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
We use those tru turn catfish hooks
Could be because i got a large box for $1.50 on a close out

Hooking a fish is like playing string with a cat. The exact size, shape, color of string matters less than how you wiggle it- and little cats are easier to fool than big ones. John Gierach
Re: Best hooks for jug lines? [Re: big_whiskers] #10170387 07/28/14 01:38 PM
C
cva34 Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Originally Posted By: big_whiskers
Throw that Jug in water reach down under and tug on line and pull under..Quite a load right there enough to set any hook..Now that 3# weight on the other end like said above will do it too..and keep it from floating off on its own..Circle hooks 3/0-6/0 I also like those true-turn hooks even if there not on close out..Thier getting harder to find

Re: Best hooks for jug lines? [Re: big_whiskers] #10173470 07/29/14 04:34 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I use 8/0 circle hooks. Noodle jugs with about a pound of weight at bottom.

2 Bedroom Lake house on CC for rent. P.M. me!
Re: Best hooks for jug lines? [Re: big_whiskers] #10173582 07/29/14 05:33 PM
J
Jthoele Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Personally, I use 6/0-9/0 J style hooks on a 12-16" leader from the main line with 4 large bricks harnessed together for the weight. I use live or cut bait no smaller than the size of your hand. I have some buffalo frozen whole from the last Bowfishing trip I plan on using next time I run lines. I want to catch a three digit sea monster one day.

[Linked Image]
Re: Best hooks for jug lines? [Re: big_whiskers] #10175116 07/30/14 05:04 AM
B
bullcrappie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Circle hooks hands down Gamakatsu octopus hooks are a excellent choice for circle hooks I have some I've used for over tens years and they have excellent corrosion resistance ... We have trot lined and jug lined for 30 years and the circle hook increased our hookups by 40 to 50% when using live bream over just lost baits and missed fish..ONE KEY THING is use a big enough hook so the hook is well exposed when baiting it so it can pin the fish in the jaw like it was designed to do do not cover the point of the hook....WE make a double drop jug lines with a 4 lb weight (a Vienna wiener can filled 3/4 full with lead is perfect you can use a link of chain or a piece of copper wire for a eyelet) Also we use a tennis ball size float (foam not plastic) about 24 inches above the top hook drop...this rig lets you put 45 ft or more of drop line on every jug and still be able to use them in 15 ft of water without modifying anything you don't have to worry about "floating" the weight up if it gets pulled to deeper water , also The float above the hooks sinks down easy with the 4 lb weight but it will hold your hooks and bait vertical in the water below the jug to avoid tangling of hook leaders together but still allowing plenty of slack for the fish eat the bait and to hook themselves with the circle hook...Also this will let the jug float free on the surface with no need to roll up any slack you may have,I like to get my lines down fast and not worry about slack or fish pulling weight to deep water or the whole rig floating away .,I have caught many 2 pound catfish and many 40+ lbers on a 6 and 8 0ught hooks so be sure and use the size hooks to match the size bait you will be using ...We also fasten a 10 inch piece of swimming noodle a foot or so from the jug this makes it easier to hook with the gaff between the jug and noodle when retrieving the lines it can also double as a spool to wind the main line around when taking up your lines..we always remove hooks and weights when taking up our line to avoid tangles and reassemble them when we put them out,,,,good luck

Last edited by bullcrappie; 07/30/14 05:15 AM.

..The Original old style Side imaging sonar..
With 360* degree side scanning.
[Linked Image]
"
Re: Best hooks for jug lines? [Re: bullcrappie] #10177712 07/31/14 11:52 AM
D
davekay Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Originally Posted By: bullcrappie
Circle hooks hands down Gamakatsu octopus hooks are a excellent choice for circle hooks I have some I've used for over tens years and they have excellent corrosion resistance ... We have trot lined and jug lined for 30 years and the circle hook increased our hookups by 40 to 50% when using live bream over just lost baits and missed fish..ONE KEY THING is use a big enough hook so the hook is well exposed when baiting it so it can pin the fish in the jaw like it was designed to do do not cover the point of the hook....WE make a double drop jug lines with a 4 lb weight (a Vienna wiener can filled 3/4 full with lead is perfect you can use a link of chain or a piece of copper wire for a eyelet) Also we use a tennis ball size float (foam not plastic) about 24 inches above the top hook drop...this rig lets you put 45 ft or more of drop line on every jug and still be able to use them in 15 ft of water without modifying anything you don't have to worry about "floating" the weight up if it gets pulled to deeper water , also The float above the hooks sinks down easy with the 4 lb weight but it will hold your hooks and bait vertical in the water below the jug to avoid tangling of hook leaders together but still allowing plenty of slack for the fish eat the bait and to hook themselves with the circle hook...Also this will let the jug float free on the surface with no need to roll up any slack you may have,I like to get my lines down fast and not worry about slack or fish pulling weight to deep water or the whole rig floating away .,I have caught many 2 pound catfish and many 40+ lbers on a 6 and 8 0ught hooks so be sure and use the size hooks to match the size bait you will be using ...We also fasten a 10 inch piece of swimming noodle a foot or so from the jug this makes it easier to hook with the gaff between the jug and noodle when retrieving the lines it can also double as a spool to wind the main line around when taking up your lines..we always remove hooks and weights when taking up our line to avoid tangles and reassemble them when we put them out,,,,good luck
Great post.

A day without sunshine is like night.
.... and a blind hog finds an acorn.
Re: Best hooks for jug lines? [Re: big_whiskers] #10192587 08/06/14 05:43 PM
B
bullcrappie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Here's a good setup for main line that has worked well for me and it keeps tangling to a minimum...I snell the circle hooks as well I don't have a pic with a circle but here is a salmon hook snelled. also I super glue all knots when using the braided line

Last edited by bullcrappie; 08/06/14 05:44 PM.

[Linked Image]
"
Re: Best hooks for jug lines? [Re: big_whiskers] #10192807 08/06/14 07:08 PM
O
OUFishing-Sean Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
Whatever is cheapest

You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
Re: Best hooks for jug lines? [Re: big_whiskers] #10192977 08/06/14 08:12 PM
Fab Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Bullcappie,
Great description of your rig, but do you have a picture?
I am more of a visual learner.
Thanks,
Fab

He who guards his mouth and tongue keeps himself from calimity.
Prov 21:23

Lake Fork Electronics Training
Lane Palmer - Constant Pursuit Outfitters
Re: Best hooks for jug lines? [Re: Fab] #10193110 08/06/14 09:00 PM
B
bullcrappie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Lol Me too.....I'll snap a couple and post them later today after it cools a bit..

[Linked Image]
"
Re: Best hooks for jug lines? [Re: big_whiskers] #10195187 08/07/14 05:38 PM
B
bullcrappie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I tape and melt the braid at the knots to stop is from tangling and to stop unraveling also I taped to space between the jug and float the main line is wrapped around to avoid fraying also I used larger nylon braid there and added a large swivel to avoid line twist from rolling and unrolling the main line and to keep the Gaff hook from fraying the line when I retrieve them(avoid twisted nylon on the main lines and drops it frays to much)..Also the Gaff has rubber tubing over the hook to avoid damaging the main line..
The main line is very heavy braid so it's easy on the hands and a knot/bead combo either side of the swivel holds it in place and allows the swivel to work in all directions...I used brass eyelets in the lead weights they weigh around 4 to 4 1/4 pounds and are molded from a small SS bowl I found it's a little bigger than a muffin tin a muffin tin ONLY weighs around 2 1/4 lbs full of lead ... Leaders are made from old fashion 90 lb braid and a 9/0 circle hook some of the hooks are 15 years old as well the black saltwater coating holds up great....I use Saltwater 135 lb test clip/swivels for the hook leaders and I also add reflective tape to my jugs on the side and bottom since I usually approach from down wind at night....All this is because the strongest part of your jug line is only as good as weakest connection. The foam floats came from
Academy they are seine floats cut in half with these you'll need some beads because they have a large center hole .... a large (popping cork) with the center peg removed will also work..You may find something better for a float just test it and make sure the your weight is plenty big enough to pull the float down and hold your line where you put it.You can see I made these to last some are 15 years old this is one of the newer ones though, they cost around 15.00 each to make...Good Luck.

[Linked Image]
"
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide