Page 1 of 2 1 2
rigging up for frog fishing #10169616 07/28/14 01:08 AM
K
Kens3313 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
K
What is the best type of rod yall like to use for fishing frogs in pads, I have a shimano 7:1 gear ratio reel with 30 lb braid and a 7ft medium heavy Vendetta rod that broke on me today while in mid cast, I dunno if this was a defect in the rod or something im doing wrong. Ive been using this rod for about 4 years now. Im looking for tips on forg fishing, I had about 6 blow up on it today and I missed them all, I waited like 2 or 3 seconds before setting the hook and didn't boat one single fish. Also do yall squeeze the water out of the frogs after each cast? I think that's probably why my rod broke because the fog may have been full of water. Any helpful tips would be appreciated. Im looking for a new frog rod now.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: rigging up for frog fishing [Re: Kens3313] #10169635 07/28/14 01:18 AM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Rod probably broke because the blank just got damaged or cracked. I like a 7'3"H action rod and at least 50lb braid. Good luck!

Re: rigging up for frog fishing [Re: Kens3313] #10169647 07/28/14 01:23 AM
K
Kens3313 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
K
Why do people like 50 and 65 lb braid? Is it because of how it affects the action of the bait, easier to cast, or just to keep from breaking off. Because I always figured 30 lb is enough to keep from breaking.

Re: rigging up for frog fishing [Re: Kens3313] #10169680 07/28/14 01:32 AM
K.D. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
The problem with braid is shock absorption. 30 lb braid can break on a hook set. Powerpro's website says to pick a braid based on line diameter. Match the diameter of braid to the diameter of mono you would use is the same situation. 80 lb power pro is about the same diameter as most 20 lb mono line.

I use 30 power pro on a spinning rod shaky head rig, but that's another topic.

The other issue might be your frog setup. Have you bent the hooks up and out from the frog body? This will increase hookup percentage. You will never hook all of them but simple changes can have a huge impact.

Re: rigging up for frog fishing [Re: Kens3313] #10169874 07/28/14 02:44 AM
R
RiveraTackleCo. Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
50-60lb braid to get the hooks thru the roof of the mouth...7.3+ heavy rod...6.3 to 7.2 reel...wait for the Terex rod designed by the frog man himself Dean Rojas...should be out this fall (a little far off but well worth it). Also, if you feel pressure when the fish takes the frog set the hook. They might just be slapping though. Big fish hide in all the junk...so u need gorilla gear!

uno uno seis
www.riveratackle.com
[Linked Image]
Re: rigging up for frog fishing [Re: Kens3313] #10169931 07/28/14 03:11 AM
M
moonriver Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
noidea

Re: rigging up for frog fishing [Re: Kens3313] #10169938 07/28/14 03:15 AM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
All about hook penetration and shock absorption. U need to drive home those thick hooks on the hollow body frogs with allot of power and there for need a heavy braid that can withstand ur heavy rod and hard hook set. Believe me when u have a 8-9lb fish blow up on ur frog u will set the hook and wish for 50-65lb braid they don't mess around and they are hook to get a solid hook into

Re: rigging up for frog fishing [Re: Kens3313] #10169941 07/28/14 03:15 AM
T
Tyler.Woods Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Always throw 65lb braid.... never broken off.... ever. I use a high gear ratio reel to reel them out of the pads quick and a 7'6 heavy Abu Garcia veracity rod. Works perfectly.

Send it!
Re: rigging up for frog fishing [Re: Kens3313] #10169953 07/28/14 03:20 AM
T
TXHENDO55 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
7'3 MH ABU Varitas with 50-65lb braid. The MH action of this rod allows the fish to suck the frog in but it also has enough backbone to drive the hooks through. Too stiff of s rod and a slight pre-mature hook set can cause you to miss some fish. The MH action also allows you to work the frog with better action. Just my two cents.

Re: rigging up for frog fishing [Re: Kens3313] #10170013 07/28/14 03:55 AM
Z
Zach Attack! Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Z
Always 65lb power pro!

Re: rigging up for frog fishing [Re: Kens3313] #10170055 07/28/14 04:53 AM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
I will share my opinions and what works for me. I got addicted to the frog deal last year and have spent a ton of time trying all the brands out there and going through a few rod and reel setups to get what works for me. Everyone has different opinions and experiences so my way is no better than the next guy. It just works for me.
North Texas area and honestly a lot of East Texas I rarely have a need for what most consider a true heavy frog rod. Day in and out a 7' MH works just as well for me in most situations. I like having the fast tip as it gets me some more accuracy on the cast as well. I get less wasted effort by using a rod that is easier to cast and a lot more nimble. I use 55lb Daiwa Samurai braid almost exclusively on frogs and rarely go up to 70lbs unless in real heavy stuff. That is also when I go with a 7' 2" H action rod. I ALWAYS use a minimum of 7.1 ratio reels though.

I also rarely if ever bend out the hooks or jack with cutting one leg shorter than the other. There are too many frogs out there that are built right so that they collapse without constantly hanging up every time they touch any cover. Bending the hooks out causes more hangups. No way around that. Also speaking of hooks ALWAYS buy a frog with decent hooks. They are far too critical to skimp on. Best bet is to experiment with a few brands as all will have some differences in the way they walk and such. You will find a couple of brands that you like. I like a couple different sizes and honestly natural, greens, blacks and whites will work about anywhere. I would also keep a few popping versions handy as well in same colors.

Last but not least when using braid remember that drag is critical. Something has to give and if your drag is not adjusted then it will be the rod that usually is the weak link. Set your drag according. Also each trip out is different. Do not fall for the old deal where you wait till you feel them. Some days it works and some days it causes you some missed fish. Be ready and stay focused. You should feel almost wore out after a day of froggin' if you are watching your bait and really paying attention. Lots of bites will be subtle etc. You will also miss the little signs of fish being in an area such as when one swims off and pushes water or if one is following the frog. Usually if they are following you need to adjust color, cadence or size. Make one change at a time till you hit the exact change that generated a bite.

Best thing with frog fishing is its a blast cause it can be so visual and often gets big bites. I would experiment with your gear till you find what is comfortable for you. Also don't stop throwing it when the sun gets high in the sky or its a bluebird day. They hit it all day, you just gotta stay with it. Have fun and good luck.

Re: rigging up for frog fishing [Re: Mark Perry] #10172259 07/29/14 01:19 AM
K
Kens3313 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
K
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
I will share my opinions and what works for me. I got addicted to the frog deal last year and have spent a ton of time trying all the brands out there and going through a few rod and reel setups to get what works for me. Everyone has different opinions and experiences so my way is no better than the next guy. It just works for me.
North Texas area and honestly a lot of East Texas I rarely have a need for what most consider a true heavy frog rod. Day in and out a 7' MH works just as well for me in most situations. I like having the fast tip as it gets me some more accuracy on the cast as well. I get less wasted effort by using a rod that is easier to cast and a lot more nimble. I use 55lb Daiwa Samurai braid almost exclusively on frogs and rarely go up to 70lbs unless in real heavy stuff. That is also when I go with a 7' 2" H action rod. I ALWAYS use a minimum of 7.1 ratio reels though.

I also rarely if ever bend out the hooks or jack with cutting one leg shorter than the other. There are too many frogs out there that are built right so that they collapse without constantly hanging up every time they touch any cover. Bending the hooks out causes more hangups. No way around that. Also speaking of hooks ALWAYS buy a frog with decent hooks. They are far too critical to skimp on. Best bet is to experiment with a few brands as all will have some differences in the way they walk and such. You will find a couple of brands that you like. I like a couple different sizes and honestly natural, greens, blacks and whites will work about anywhere. I would also keep a few popping versions handy as well in same colors.

Last but not least when using braid remember that drag is critical. Something has to give and if your drag is not adjusted then it will be the rod that usually is the weak link. Set your drag according. Also each trip out is different. Do not fall for the old deal where you wait till you feel them. Some days it works and some days it causes you some missed fish. Be ready and stay focused. You should feel almost wore out after a day of froggin' if you are watching your bait and really paying attention. Lots of bites will be subtle etc. You will also miss the little signs of fish being in an area such as when one swims off and pushes water or if one is following the frog. Usually if they are following you need to adjust color, cadence or size. Make one change at a time till you hit the exact change that generated a bite.

Best thing with frog fishing is its a blast cause it can be so visual and often gets big bites. I would experiment with your gear till you find what is comfortable for you. Also don't stop throwing it when the sun gets high in the sky or its a bluebird day. They hit it all day, you just gotta stay with it. Have fun and good luck.
Wow thanks for the great info Mark, it will definatley come in handy, I ended up looking at some rods on the way home at academy and like the ducket ghost in 7ft MH. It felt good strong back bone with fast tip like others have said too. I have some 50 lb power pro im going to try out. Thanks again for the good info everyone.

Re: rigging up for frog fishing [Re: Kens3313] #10172280 07/29/14 01:27 AM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
falcon Bobby Barracks frog rod with 65lb braid.

Re: rigging up for frog fishing [Re: Kens3313] #10172377 07/29/14 02:02 AM
C
coachallentca Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Kens3313
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

Wow thanks for the great info Mark, it will definatley come in handy, I ended up looking at some rods on the way home at academy and like the ducket ghost in 7ft MH. It felt good strong back bone with fast tip like others have said too. I have some 50 lb power pro im going to try out. Thanks again for the good info everyone.

This is the rod I use. I love the duckett rods. Money it tight so for me this is a good rod. Also Mark has helped me and my son out catching some frog fish. He is a great help.

Re: rigging up for frog fishing [Re: Kens3313] #10185100 08/03/14 03:02 PM
K
Kens3313 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
K

Finally after getting about 10 or 15 blow ups on my frog yesterday I finally caught my first frog fish :)3.5 lbs, along with about a 2 ft gator lol

Last edited by Kens3313; 08/03/14 03:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide