Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Spider Rigging on Palestine #10169985 07/28/14 03:36 AM
P
piscatur non solum piscator Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
P
Fishing docks is definitely not my favorite way to fish for crappie. In fact, I just flat out refuse to do it. So the idea of dropping several lines in the water and hanging them over the side of the boat while dragging multiple baits through the water doesn't hold a great deal of appeal to me either. That being said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with sitting on a dock or shooting a dock from your boat. There's also nothing wrong with a slow steady drift over crappie habitats and enjoying time spent with friends on the water and enjoying the sport we enjoy so much. This post is a whimsical look at what can happen if you let go of predefined methods and can embrace unconventionality and relax and have a good time.

What started out as a challenge to Ketchn to prove which of us could ketch more crappie in a mock tournament turned into another crazy adventure among crappie fishing fanatic friends.

Walbananut, Ketchn, Jpenwell and I went fishing this weekend. Jerry is an avid and seasoned bass fisherman who could not believe that Walbananut and I would fish for crappie using short rods, light line and small and lightweight jigs. He coined the term "fairy wands" to describe our lightweight tackle and cautioned us not to bring our Barbie poles on our next trip to Palestine in our search for bigger crappie. Ketchn was exempt from this warning because Ketchn is, well, he is, Ketchn; and he uses all manner of crazy tackle at any given moment anyway. Walbananut, who would not be deterred, brought along a Spiderman 2' 6" all-in-one rod and reel that he bought at Walmart as a gift for a young fishing friend. What started out as a mere symbolic statement and funny moment at the start of our fishing trip turned somewhat serious when Jerry questioned Russell's ability to catch 2lb crappie with it in deep water on thick and gnarly brush. When Russell declared that it could indeed be done Jerry's response was that it couldn't which was followed by a rousing round of yes it can, no it can't. The last straw was when Jerry uttered the words "wanna bet?" So it began.

Russell put on what could only be described as an expert's clinic on how to catch big crappie using a tiny Shakespeare rod and reel decorated with the Marvel Comics hero Spiderman. To be fair, it took him about half an hour to get accustomed to the feel for using a 30" rod and he didn't catch anything for about thirty minutes. But, then again, Jerry and I hadn't caught anything either. Russell struck first and very quickly caught three fish at our first location. When we finally gave up and moved along, Russell went into high gear. He very calmly and very politely asked for the net and he did it again and again and again. Jerry and I were stunned, outfished and awestruck by the events unfolding before our very eyes. Russell removed any doubt from Jerry's mind that it could indeed be done. Right about now, some of you may be wondering what happened to Ketchn. He didn't show up until later and had the privilege of looking over a very full and very healthy ice chest laden with a half dozen 2lb crappie when he finally arrived.

When Ketchn finally got in the boat I decided that I had to give the Spiderman fishing pole a try. To make it fair, I used the exact same jigs and jig bodies that Russell had used. They were 1/32oz sickle hook round unpainted jig heads from Crazy Angler Tackle and Lil' Fry jig bodies from Thermocline Lures (The Go To and Silver Flash) fished in tandem. If anyone remembers, this was also to be the second round of a challenge that I had previously issued to Ketchn. We went at it and I fished right next to him with Jerry on the bow and Russell at the stern keeping an eye on us. I began to immediately sling fish into the boat in a hurried and gleeful manner while Ketchn started digging through his jig bag in a lost and rather frantic manner.

After a couple of hours of catching two fish to his every one (and doing it with a Spiderman pole) I hung the jigs on the gnarly brush lurking in the depths below and broke the line. It was at this point that I handed the tiny weapon over to Ketchn. He declined. He refused to use it. We goaded, bullied and taunted him, but he wouldn't do it. So I picked up my 5' 6" lightning rod paired with a Mitchell 310pro spinning reel and continued our challenge. Ketchn took advantage of the equipment change and my adjustment period and he began to put on a show of his own. It was the Ketchn Show, filled with non-stop hooting and hollering, bouncing around in the boat followed with several cries of "Yeah baby!! He was in pure Ketchn mode and fish were flying in every direction. I was somewhat concerned that his late comeback may seal a victory for him. But something happened that caused him to honestly and sincerely concede that I had indeed bested him. Even though yella bass and perch didn't count, we never mentioned what would happen if someone accidently caught a trophy largemouth.

As usual, I fish with a 1/16oz chartreuse Roadrunner and a Crappie Thunder jig body in refrigerator white. I've caught more big crappie and more big fish in general using this combination than any other jig combination I use. So, once again, thank you Wally Marshall for helping me catch a few rather big crappie and one enormous largemouth. (9 pounds 4 ounces.) Jerry politely informed me that it was a trophy and quite frankly a fish of a lifetime. I was pleased that he now considers me a real fisherman and that Mark and Russell were there to lend a hand in a memorable fight and release of a very nice fish.

I'm not going to win over the support of many tackle sponsors by repeatedly emphasizing the fact that it's not the rod, reel, line or lure that catches the fish. It's the nut behind the reel. By all means use any brand and size tackle that you like. Fish using whichever tactics you enjoy and suit your fishing style. Just remember that "there's more to fishing than catching fish" and that you should try to have a tremendous amount of fun while doing it. Don't let anyone sell you on the idea that you can only catch a crappie using a certain lure or a certain type of rod. They're little fish and a big one might weigh three pounds. Although, I hope to one day be fortunate enough to catch a trophy crappie and I still haven't found that three pounder yet. Fishing with friends is reward enough for me. Here's hoping that you get to go fishing often and soon!

Re: Spider Rigging on Palestine [Re: piscatur non solum piscator] #10170025 07/28/14 04:04 AM
C
Catfish-hunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Well said and congrats to all. Great job buddies. The good,bad and ugly(you choose who is who) had a great time together. That's what it's all about! Congrats again!

Re: Spider Rigging on Palestine [Re: piscatur non solum piscator] #10170029 07/28/14 04:07 AM
L
lookingfor25 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Very nice story and very nice fish! You guys always seem to have a good time!

Living for God, family and the great outdoors.
Re: Spider Rigging on Palestine [Re: piscatur non solum piscator] #10170034 07/28/14 04:16 AM
J
jpenwell Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
thumb flehan

Pepop's Lake Palestine Jig's web page is now online. Click Logo above

Re: Spider Rigging on Palestine [Re: jpenwell] #10170182 07/28/14 11:38 AM
Bobcat1 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Nice story Daniel! Great catch thumb That's a big ol' bass too.

Bobby Barnett

Re: Spider Rigging on Palestine [Re: piscatur non solum piscator] #10170202 07/28/14 11:54 AM
K
Ketchn Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
that my dear bud was the hoot of a lifetime right there on EVERY level ....
our host an hostess for the trip were just the best folks ever thumb
to say it wasn't a stupid special event would be a massive understatement
the bream off the dock were ridiculous fun clap
7 folks drinking a few cold drinks havin a bream tourney off the dock in the afternoon was really fun bannana2
but the icing on the cake without a doubt was seeing Mrs Whale break water
when you said hey ketchn move your rod I gots a big kitty on ....
I was like yeah whatever bro .... hammer
and she blew the water up right on cue eeks
I thunk 4 grown men was gunna wet their pants right then and there rolfmao
I have to say after the high flying act she was sure fast to the net on the ole buggy whip brother clap
good golly miss molly what fish there sir woot
good thing you went with your "heavy" equipment on that one ....
I am thinkin the ole SPIDEY rig might have failed on her
hammer

Re: Spider Rigging on Palestine [Re: piscatur non solum piscator] #10170204 07/28/14 11:57 AM
K
Ketchn Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
and just imagine some other lucky angler enjoying her again thumb
what a toad my friend
KABO O O O O OM

Re: Spider Rigging on Palestine [Re: piscatur non solum piscator] #10170205 07/28/14 11:57 AM
B
BASSIC Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Awesome.

Re: Spider Rigging on Palestine [Re: piscatur non solum piscator] #10170207 07/28/14 11:59 AM
S
Sangelle Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Great story but it will take ketchup a week to read it the way he writes!

Re: Spider Rigging on Palestine [Re: piscatur non solum piscator] #10170212 07/28/14 12:05 PM
K
Ketchn Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
and I even managed a selfy or 17 along the way as well bannana2
KABOOM slinger

Re: Spider Rigging on Palestine [Re: piscatur non solum piscator] #10170213 07/28/14 12:10 PM
K
Ketchn Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
hey where is mister/mrs whale kitty ?....you forgot the other whale photo ?
the host managed a right dandy blue kitty as well ....
probably 20 ish it looked like to me clap
what an awesome adventure
them fajitas and refreshments were simply ridiculous
along with the ketchn of fish .....my my my ....
what a deal Lucille lizard
yum yum yum

Re: Spider Rigging on Palestine [Re: piscatur non solum piscator] #10170241 07/28/14 12:26 PM
J
jig master Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Awesome !! Great story and nice catch !!

Don't believe everything you hear and half of what you see . Living for the Thump !!
Re: Spider Rigging on Palestine [Re: piscatur non solum piscator] #10170278 07/28/14 12:48 PM
J
jpenwell Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Great friends, great food, great fishing, great fun..........priceless. Plus another great clinic on the water by this crew of fish ketchn machines. Thanks for visitin guys. cheers

Pepop's Lake Palestine Jig's web page is now online. Click Logo above

Re: Spider Rigging on Palestine [Re: piscatur non solum piscator] #10170280 07/28/14 12:49 PM
K
Ketchn Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
and them brim off the dock were simply amazing as well thumb
man did we have a hoot with them critters
bull bluegill on super lites
I brung a less then 4 foot out for them
man could they bend that lil whipper snapper clap
KABOOM

Re: Spider Rigging on Palestine [Re: piscatur non solum piscator] #10170314 07/28/14 01:06 PM
C
cjcrappie Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I love this story!!! I wish I had friends I could share these type of unforgetable stories. Oh Yeah, and catch fish...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide