Forums59
Topics1,038,947
Posts13,956,234
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: horseplaydvm] #10161543 07/24/14 05:54 PM
B
BassBucknBeer Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Originally Posted By: horseplaydvm
I hope along with everyone that fishing continues to improve and we can grow bigger fish. However, I also know you have to do that with superior genetics in a natural environment. Is anyone associated with this project really going to try to spawn a 13lb + fish with a chance of that fish dying? What if it was the only fish with the potential to grow to 20lbs? I would never take that chance!
Maybe Fouzman knows if Camelot Bell would ever donate a fish? I know they have caught several over 13 lbs and I have not heard of one being donated.

Camelot Bell would be happy to donate a 13lb fish as long as you give them $16,000 for it. That's what they are going for...

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #10161594 07/24/14 06:09 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
I can't speak for Mike Frazier with regards to whether he might someday donate one of his fish to SAL. There are a bunch caught every year that would qualify, but to date none have been donated.

He culls heavily every year, but those fish are sold to other ranches/lakes managers to improve their genetics.

The spawning system Dan referred to is a cooperative effort with Overton Fisheries. Mike or guests catch the big females and males. They spawn at the ranch and are allowed to grow to about 3 inches before harvest. Overton markets the fry from that operation.

As to the prices listed on his website to buy a giant bass, those are similar to the prices the Texas Deer Association publishes for deer sold at auction. Not always as it seems.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #10161599 07/24/14 06:11 PM
Jordan Shipley Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
[quote=Jordan Shipley]["Genetics are only part of the equation... they need nutrition and habitat. I believe it's the same with these fish. If they don't have the same nutrition as they have in the private lake, then they won't grow to be as big as their parents... increase our lakes nutrition is the only way to improve our public fisheries."]

For the record I agree with this for the most part.. With the added component of Florida vs Northern strain bass. Research has shown that Northern strains are going to dilute the Floridas in time. My feeling has always been that because of the limited number of SAL fingerlings that end up available to be released, TPWD might be better served to focus on stocking as many pure strain Florida's into our lakes as possible... regardless of whether or not they are SAL's. I think that... along with finding ways to increase the nutrition and forage base should always be the first priorities for TPWD. Then if they want to focus on SAL on top of that, ok by me. "

One other thing that in my opinion should be a HUGE priority for TPWD if they want to really make a difference- and I absolutely agree with James Bendele on this-- The alligator gar on Choke and Falcon are absolutely out of control. I personally believe that when spawning, bass are very vulnerable to predation by alligator gar. Have had buddies watch big females get tomahawked right off of their beds. They've got to get them under control.

Twitter - @Jordan_Shipley
Instagram - @jordanshipley8
Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jarrett Latta] #10161638 07/24/14 06:23 PM
Karl Dietz Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Originally Posted By: Jersey Dan
Here is a simple fix for TWPD if they truly cared about improving bass fishing. Scrap the gimmick sharelunker program and focus on getting grass back into your lakes which 90% of them now lack.

True story but fluctuations in water levels can't be predicted or stopped on a few of the lakes where grass is beneficial. Now there are a few lakes, conroe and austin, where the grass was obviously creating a super fishery but the homeowners nixed that process.

Bottom line is, the future of bass fishing in Texas is not an exact science and we can sit here and arm chair biologist all day but its not going to change what's at hand. Let it play out and see what happens, pray for more rain on our "super lakes" and enjoy what we have while we have it. It could be way worse!

Jeret, respectfully, this is one of the few posts of yours that I applaud!

Karl Dietz
2015 BassCat Cougar/250 Mercury ProXS
2 HB Helix 12's

Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #10161669 07/24/14 06:32 PM
R
Razorback Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted By: Jordan Shipley

Im playing Cotton Speyrer, who was an All-American WR on that team. Its called My All American and if they decide to put it out this year it will probably be in theatres early Jan before the National Championship game.

I don't mean to derail, but through work I have had numerous communications with Cotton over the last several years and he seems like a great guy. He has helped me immeasurably when I have needed answers. I tried to meet with him the last time I was in Austin but we didn't cross paths. What's "funny" is that I am an Arkansas fan who is old enough to remember the Big Shootout and Cotton Speyrer during his days as a Longhorn. He was a great player who made one game saving play after another and was about as responsible for Texas' back to back national championships as anyone.

Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #10161882 07/24/14 07:49 PM
David Rush Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Hope the jealous and contrary types don't run Gary and Jordan off. I enjoy hearing about La Perla. I believe in selective breeding programs with fish because an uncle of mine did it with trout in Idaho. I think what Gary is doing could result in bigger fish for all of us at some point. I'm skeptical of a world record being grown in South Texas because of the heat, but a State record is very possible. Best of luck!

Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: David Rush] #10161935 07/24/14 08:03 PM
L
La Perla Ranch Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted By: David Rush
Hope the jealous and contrary types don't run Gary and Jordan off. I enjoy hearing about La Perla. I believe in selective breeding programs with fish because an uncle of mine did it with trout in Idaho. I think what Gary is doing could result in bigger fish for all of us at some point. I'm skeptical of a world record being grown in South Texas because of the heat, but a State record is very possible. Best of luck!

Thanks David,
I actually think a lot of people are tired of hearing about La Perla, and I know I am getting tired of this controversy myself. Differences of opinion are part and parcel to our world, and there is no way around it, but it still hurts when you are the object of criticism.

There is one question on here I think I need to answer, but won't have time until this evening. Meanwhile, again, thanks.
Gary

La Perla Ranch
Zapata County, Texas
tecomateranch.com
Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #10161957 07/24/14 08:13 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
I just wish TP&W would manage bass for ALL fishermen and not just bass fishermen.

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: David Rush] #10162006 07/24/14 08:27 PM
J
J.H.S. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted By: David Rush

+1

I enjoy hearing about what they got going on down there as well. Pretty cool stuff that I think will benefit in the long run.

Live Daringly, Boldy, and Fearlessly....Embrace the Challenge So That You May Feel the Exhiliration of Victory.

Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #10162026 07/24/14 08:35 PM
Bigron119 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I guess I have not been following the entire conversation. So is La Perla a new public lake?

Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #10162033 07/24/14 08:37 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
No, La Perla is the name of Dr. Schwarz's Zapata County ranch and the big lake that he built on the ranch. Jalisco is Dr. Scwarz's new lake on La Perla Ranch.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: La Perla Ranch] #10162081 07/24/14 08:57 PM
TwoLakes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Don't let the negative nancy types get you discouraged. As with most things in life, there are different opinions. It's your money, your lake, your ranch. Do what you want to do.

If you try to be honest and transparent with information like this, I think you'll always have people expressing dissenting opinions. It's OK and it's what makes our country great. We all have the opportunity to express our opinions on a forum like this.

Keep up the good fight.

Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #10162259 07/24/14 10:15 PM
J
jbguide Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Dr. Scwarz's I for one think its great what you are doing. I have a few questions. Do you know how the TPW are going to go about culling fish out of the lake and do you know what they will do with them? Second do you know if they will do any kind of grass studies in your lake? The last question I have is do you have any planes on doing any culling out of La Perla lake and if so are you going to donate them to TPW to stock into public waters?

Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #10162316 07/24/14 10:40 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Talk about poking the hornets nest again.

Last edited by grout-scout; 07/24/14 10:42 PM.
Re: TPWD stocking SAL fingerlings in Jalisco Lake (La Perla) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #10162392 07/24/14 11:08 PM
Minner Bucket Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I think it is great what you are doing! Opinions are like a$$ holes and you are sure to get a lot of them on a public forum with this many participants! At the end of the day, everybody on this forum would LOVE to have a crack at fishing one of your lakes. Since most won't, there will always be some disagreement, but I would not let that drag me down, that is the great thing about this country we live in! We are allowed to have an opinion!!!

Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide