Forums59
Topics1,038,942
Posts13,955,998
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17
Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: Kay Dyson] #10147779 07/18/14 09:14 PM
John175☮ Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter
Originally Posted By: Tiltman
Can some one post cliff notes so I don't have to read a Novel?

This post is so done........

Nah...the horse is still breathing

“Do not pray for easier lives. Pray to be stronger men.” -JFK
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: La Perla Ranch] #10147800 07/18/14 09:28 PM
L
LakeForkGroupie Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
Gary:
I have been on your website, and soaking up the info you have posted on La Perla and the photo's. I know we are all chomping on the bit, and waiting for these SAL babies to grow up, but can you talk more about the thoughts behind designing these lakes. I have followed a similar thread and think it's fascinating about all the work it takes to get a lake from dry ground to ready for LMB. Did you have a ratio of open water, structure, shoreline? How long did you have shad / blue gill / prawns growing before you stocked bass? How old is La Perla lake? I have so many more questions out of fascination, but i will hold them back for now.

Thanks for posting.

Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: Douglas J] #10148074 07/18/14 11:29 PM
T
TogiakTerror Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Doug R.
Originally Posted By: horseplaydvm
Originally Posted By: Doug R.
I did a little research and I guess since the SAL program isn't funded with "public monies" they can do with them what they want.

Good Luck

Not really. These fish are offspring of Florida strain genetic bass paid for by Texas state funds which are either funded by tax payer dollars or fishing license revenue or both. Remember, Florida stain bass are not indigenous to Texas waters. The donated SAL or her offspring does not merely become property of the SAL program simply because it was donated.
There was a very similar legal battle in the state of Oklahoma over horses. The Oklahoma State University Veterinary Medicine Equine ranch was taking privately donated horses, breeding them, then selling the offspring for profit which went back to the Vet Med ranch/ school. Courts basically said you can't do that since they are a state funded institution.
Not trying to start a big debate, but this is BAD business for the SAL program. Sorry.

I thought the SAL program has been sponsored and privately funded since it's inception?

I am not of the opinion it's "bad" to do what they are doing, but I do not see the good in it either.

Hopefully we are not using tax dollars to boost private waters most of us will never have access to fish.
I'd rather see my tax dollars going to this than bringing illegals to the US

Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: LakeForkGroupie] #10148403 07/19/14 01:52 AM
L
La Perla Ranch Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted By: LakeForkGroupie
Gary:
I have been on your website, and soaking up the info you have posted on La Perla and the photo's. I know we are all chomping on the bit, and waiting for these SAL babies to grow up, but can you talk more about the thoughts behind designing these lakes. I have followed a similar thread and think it's fascinating about all the work it takes to get a lake from dry ground to ready for LMB. Did you have a ratio of open water, structure, shoreline? How long did you have shad / blue gill / prawns growing before you stocked bass? How old is La Perla lake? I have so many more questions out of fascination, but i will hold them back for now.

Thanks for posting.

All great questions. Want to answer them all. Maybe I need to start a new thread more specific to topics of interest, like, the building of Jalisco???

La Perla Ranch
Zapata County, Texas
tecomateranch.com
Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: La Perla Ranch] #10148487 07/19/14 02:39 AM
R
RickS. Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
R
I rarely venture up here to this section even though I fish for bass 99% of the time. Mainly because I have no time or desire to read all the bickering that goes on up here. I have however spent my Friday evening evening reading this entire thread.

To the gentleman owning LA Perla. Sir don't let the few negative posts discourage you. After reading all this and your openness about your work I commend you sir. I hope your efforts take Texas bass fishing to the next level. It appears to me you are very sincere in your efforts. And I wish you nothing but the best. I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on any of this. I'm just an average guy who loves to fish for bass. Texans are very fortunate to have the fisheries we do. Be it Fork, Falcon, Amistad or where ever. There's a reason why people flock to Texas every year to fish for bass. It's because of the efforts of TPWD & the SAL program. And I believe you will just make it better with your hard work and dedication to grow this sport that we all love. Keep up the good work sir. Best of luck to you. May God bless you with many many more years so you can see the fruits of your labor.

Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: mpowell] #10148602 07/19/14 04:13 AM
sdavis24 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: mpowell
Dr. Schwarz:

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to provide more details regarding your arrangement with TPWD and your goals for the projects you have undertaken.

Unfortunately for you there are those here that don't let the lack of actual facts (or their not reading and comprehending the actual facts) stand in their way of making super-hero-like leaps to conclusions. I am hopeful you will not be so discouraged that you become reticent to continue to provide updates on the progress of La Perla and Jalisco. It is unlikely I will ever have the opportunity to fish one of your water bodies, but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in the particulars and results of your projects. I find it all very interesting. And I can dream...

I wish you GREAT success in these endeavors, and I certainly believe whatever the results, the fishing community as a whole, and Texas in particular, will benefit greatly.

^^^^This guy nailed it

Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: sdavis24] #10148631 07/19/14 04:49 AM
B
basseditor Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted By: sdavis24
Originally Posted By: mpowell
Dr. Schwarz:

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to provide more details regarding your arrangement with TPWD and your goals for the projects you have undertaken.

Unfortunately for you there are those here that don't let the lack of actual facts (or their not reading and comprehending the actual facts) stand in their way of making super-hero-like leaps to conclusions. I am hopeful you will not be so discouraged that you become reticent to continue to provide updates on the progress of La Perla and Jalisco. It is unlikely I will ever have the opportunity to fish one of your water bodies, but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in the particulars and results of your projects. I find it all very interesting. And I can dream...
I wish you GREAT success in these endeavors, and I certainly believe whatever the results, the fishing community as a whole, and Texas in particular, will benefit greatly.

^^^^This guy nailed it
[quote=sdavis24][quote=mpowell]

From a scientific point, there's no way TPWD could match your investment to get the research that will come. Kudos to you.

TPWD has precedence in private partnerships look at the technical assistance game biologists provide to land owners. They help properties manage the game better.

I see potential for maybe the ranch could produce surplus fingerlings to be restocked in other waters to grow opportunities someday. That helps us all.

Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: La Perla Ranch] #10148659 07/19/14 05:27 AM
sdavis24 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Also, as a financial analyst, it is highly unlikely this is a positive NPV project for Dr. Schwarz. Considering the upfront capital, 15 years worth of mgmt. expenses, and the opportunity costs of passing on making this commercial from the start.

Furthermore, when you start discounting cash flows 15-20 years out (especially considering how few fishing days per year he allows on his other lakes), if this lake isn't spitting 20+lb bass out left and right, it is certainly a losing venture. He is taking one for the "team" on this one.

If it does turn out to be incredible, then we probably gained infinitely more knowledge than the value of a few thousand fingerlings. Obviously, Dr. Schwarz didn't do this to make money, he did it because of his passion. For that I am very grateful, and can't wait to see how this turns out.

His desire to share all this with us here is also incredible/unprecedented, and certainly doesn't deserve any grief. If he does a fraction for bass fishing what he did for TX deer hunting we're very lucky.

Last edited by sdavis24; 07/19/14 05:46 AM.
Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: basseditor] #10149142 07/19/14 03:42 PM
L
La Perla Ranch Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted By: basseditor
[quote=mpowell]Dr. Schwarz:

^^^^This guy nailed it
[quote=mpowell]

From a scientific point, there's no way TPWD could match your investment to get the research that will come. Kudos to you.

TPWD has precedence in private partnerships look at the technical assistance game biologists provide to land owners. They help properties manage the game better.

I see potential for maybe the ranch could produce surplus fingerlings to be restocked in other waters to grow opportunities someday. That helps us all.

No doubt Randy. Having enough Bass will be the least of our problems. There will need to be a lot of culling done, and these aren't the kind you eat! They will need homes......

Thanks!!

La Perla Ranch
Zapata County, Texas
tecomateranch.com
Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: La Perla Ranch] #10150996 07/20/14 05:09 PM
K
kevino Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
Even though I most likely will never fish either of your lakes, I gotta say I love what your doing. Also would like add that every successful person I know of has had haters. The more haters the more success usually. The only thing i cant get past is if TPWD is using you lake for a test bed why not open lake x to the public. Even make it a pay lake like some of the lakes in California to recoup some funds. I wouldn't make it there either just thinking out loud. Keep up the work even if you don't get a record out of the deal the bigger bass, genetics and food study will be valuable to Texas fisheries.

Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: La Perla Ranch] #10159009 07/23/14 07:50 PM
B
BassBucknBeer Offline
Angler
Angler
B

Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: La Perla Ranch] #10159103 07/23/14 08:17 PM
J
jbguide Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I hope the fish that are culled out of Jalisco go to Choke Canyon, Falcon, Lake Corpus Christi, or Amistad.

Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: La Perla Ranch] #10164728 07/25/14 07:56 PM
horseplaydvm Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: La Perla Ranch

2. Allen Forshage is one of the most dedicated, by the book men I have ever met. I mean, think about this: I called him immediately on December 2013 when we shocked up the fish James Hall from Bassmasters named Pearl, a 13:15 fish only 7 yrs old. I wanted to donate her to SAL. She would have been bigger and younger than all of the SAL fish that were eventually donated for 2014 at the program, and bigger than the fish that eventually sent a small percent of her offspring to Jalisco. I would have been entitled to way more than 7000 of Pearl's fry back to my lakes, TPWD would have had no contract tie in to my new and best lake for 15 years. Also, 50% of her fry would have gone on to other public or private waters somewhere in the state to benefit you bass fishermen out there. Heck, at the time, there weren't even any lunkers that had been donated yet. It seemed like a slam
dunk deal, but for one problem...Allan's commitment to following the rules.

Allen asked us one question: was she legally caught by a rod and reel fisherman, because that is the way the rules are written. Allen refused to break them, even though I legally owned the fish myself and had the authority to remove her from my water any way I wanted to and send her wherever I desired.

I don't denigrate the sacrifice and contribution of any SAL Donor, but simply want to point out that the commitment of Allen Forshage to follow the rules is really steadfast. None of us could believe it, but were all very impressed, especially James Hall from Bassmasters, who heard the whole conversation take place right there in the shocker boat with Pearl in the big live well.

As Pearl slipped back into the green waters of La Perla, I thought about how often rules are written that aren't complete enough, and have unintended consequences such as happened here. Obviously, shocking can't be allowed on a public body of water, hence the rule. I guess at the time, the rule writers could not imagine some guy with his own private lake and giant fish might want to donate it, and that the quickest and least traumatic way to do it would be to shock her up!

Oh well, what might have been, but for the rules!

I know of a SAL from Fork a few years ago that was not caught with a rod and reel and they admitted her to the program anyway. Friend of mine turned her in.

[Linked Image]
Gone Fishing
B.A.S. 6/5/47-6/6/12
C.W.S. 9/29/72- 10/17/23
Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: La Perla Ranch] #10165053 07/25/14 09:42 PM
west tex angler Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
Dr. Gary Schwarz,
Thank you for all of the deer management research that took such a long time to develop, starting with Al Brothers and Murphy Ray and so far carried on by you and David. I subscribe to all of it! It has resulted in some impressive bucks in the North Texas area where I hunt and a 162 1/2 BC for me this past year in Jack County. Most all hunters I know want big bucks or nothing at all.
Now, your research into big bass.
I have no doubt that your quest to grow better and better bass will have positive results. I've always said if you want something done right, let private enterprise do it and it will happen. While your group is experiencing a "push back" right now, the end results will change everyones opinion.
Good luck and hope to meet you sometimes.

PB 9lbs 13oz
Re: La Perla Ranch...new Lake Jalisco progress report. [Re: La Perla Ranch] #11534630 04/11/16 05:32 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
I just read this thread over lunch. WOW. There is some awesome information in here. I feel fortunate to have stumbled across it. Has anyone heard anything from La Perla in the last couple years? Did we scare Dr. Schwarz off?

Last edited by Jpurdue; 04/11/16 05:35 PM.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide