Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,039,322
Posts13,962,831
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Need Help for Fishing at Galveston Island State Park #10158339 07/23/14 03:17 PM
Strictly Biznuss Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
I am headed down to Galveston Island State Park next week to do some camping with the young men's organization at my church. We already have a morning bay fishing trip scheduled on a party boat down there, but while we are in Galveston, we will have a little bit of down time here and there while at our campsite in Galveston Island State Park.

I was hoping someone could give me some direction in fishing from the shore/beach there in Galveston Island State Park. I'm an experienced freshwater bass fisherman, but I have yet to do the saltwater thing in the gulf. Ideas on baits, techniques, possible locations within the state park, etc, would be great. Thanks for any advice guys. We leave next Monday, 7/28.

BTW, our campsites are on the bay side as opposed to the beach side of the park. Is one side better than the other at all? Should we just fish on the bay side where we are or is it worth going over to the beach side to fish instead?

Last edited by Strictly Biznuss; 07/23/14 04:34 PM.
Re: Need Help for Fishing at Galveston Island State Park [Re: Strictly Biznuss] #10158555 07/23/14 04:44 PM
M
musiclife_7 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Rule #1...fish the tide. If tide isn't moving, your chances of catching fish goes down.
Rule #2...moving water...try to find a place where water is converging or "letting out". Inlets and Jettys are the best to fish from shore.

Bait....if you just want to catch fish, use shrimp. If you are targeting a specific fish then you adjust. Cut bait works great for gaftop, sharks, reds, drum and plenty others....

If you fish shrimp...fishing under popping corks is the easiest with kids...watch the float and set the hook once it goes under!

If you fish the bottom make sure you have a good leader that can take some friction. If bait fishing, spin reels work easiest obviously.

Buy a cast net and catch your bait...along grass lines and shallow areas....tight lines!

Re: Need Help for Fishing at Galveston Island State Park [Re: musiclife_7] #10158607 07/23/14 05:13 PM
Strictly Biznuss Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Thanks for the tips. Are we talking live or dead shrimp? And what types of cutbait are best? What size/style of hook is best for using shrimp and cutbait out there? Also, what type of rig should I tie up for fishing off the bottom?

Anyone have any suggestions when it comes to the use of artificial lures as well?

Re: Need Help for Fishing at Galveston Island State Park [Re: Strictly Biznuss] #10158630 07/23/14 05:22 PM
M
musiclife_7 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: Strictly Biznuss
Thanks for the tips. Are we talking live or dead shrimp? And what types of cutbait are best? What size/style of hook is best for using shrimp and cutbait out there? Also, what type of rig should I tie up for fishing off the bottom?

Anyone have any suggestions when it comes to the use of artificial lures as well?

If you use a popping cork, live shrimp is best. Dead shrimp works well but will only catch you trash fish usually.

Finger mullet, Shad, croaker, mud minnows...all good bait....if you use a cast net...you will catch a good mix of these....use your larger mullet as cut bait.

I would use 3/0 stainless bait hooks or 2/0-3/0 circle hooks. I like to use either steel leaders or 80lb mono as a leader. If you fishing from shore you want to keep line to a minimum so 20lb line should do it unless you use braid...but I wouldn't recommend braid while bait fishing....your bait will look like it's attached to a rope LOL.

Artificial lures work well for Reds, Specs and sometimes flounder....shrimp jigs, spinners, top waters work well. SHE-DOG is my favorite top water for Reds. you would be suprised how well your bass spinners work. Also try spoons...they work well.

Re: Need Help for Fishing at Galveston Island State Park [Re: Strictly Biznuss] #10160209 07/24/14 02:50 AM
F
FreeFall Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
I fish the state park all the time, but rarely the beach side. I fish in the park lake como, oak bayou, butter rowe and jenkins. I will be there this weekend doing some kayak fishing. Musiclife is right live shrimp will get you more hits rig a popping cork around 18inches to 2ft and you will get something. On the beach side you can catch whiting and croaker on dead shrimp etc. I would get some fish bites in that case. Also in the park they do have a fresh water pond oddly enough you have to walk to it. Ask the rangers. I have yet to fish it because I don't want to leave my kayak in the truck.

When Hell Freezes Over I'm Going Ice Fishing

www.mtpocketstackle.com
www.facebook.com/MtPocketsTackleCompany
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide