Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Ascend FS12T Kayak Review [Re: PayneFish] #10018405 05/28/14 02:43 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I agree that those small pads under the bar may not be enough especially for a large person. Maybe a strip of teflon cutting board bolted to the bar, or larger pads and maybe even a couple of large 3" to 4" suction cups in place of the pads and bolted to the bar. The seat wouldn't move then!
I would also brace under the seat area if you can get into the hull?
Everyone keeps mentioning price, but in my opinion that's still not pocket change, and if you do a little research and know what to look for a well established name brand with an outstanding track record can be had for just a couple hundred dollars more.
Guys are selling like new kayaks that are usually from one to two years old just because a new model came out with the latest and greatest gadgets, and some for a lot less than they paid new.
I don't ever see where an impulse buy just because it's a new kayak, and on the big sale is a good buy.
You just shouldn't have to fix something as important as a seat on a new kayak no matter how good a deal it sounds like you got! That's just my opinion though, and it's your money!

Last edited by Jimbo; 05/28/14 02:48 PM.

Just one more cast!

Re: Ascend FS12T Kayak Review [Re: PayneFish] #10018879 05/28/14 05:32 PM
B
Bass Art Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
I don't see buying a new kayak that will need a seat fix in the first 2 months. However, if you look at the 350# weight capacity, and you are realistic about buying a kayak that has the real carrying capacity that is needed, then you're not paddling an FS12T if you weigh 240# (or more). This kayak is designed for a paddler that weighs 200# or less, if you are following the 2/3 rule. I sat in the FS12T at the GTG a few weeks ago, and it definitely groaned when I put my weight (265#) on it.

It's interesting to note that the FS128T, at 8" longer AND 3" wider, is rated for the same 350#.

Artie
Re: Ascend FS12T Kayak Review [Re: Bass Art] #10019177 05/28/14 07:31 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Originally Posted By: Bass Art
I don't see buying a new kayak that will need a seat fix in the first 2 months. However, if you look at the 350# weight capacity, and you are realistic about buying a kayak that has the real carrying capacity that is needed, then you're not paddling an FS12T if you weigh 240# (or more). This kayak is designed for a paddler that weighs 200# or less, if you are following the 2/3 rule. I sat in the FS12T at the GTG a few weeks ago, and it definitely groaned when I put my weight (265#) on it.

It's interesting to note that the FS128T, at 8" longer AND 3" wider, is rated for the same 350#.

Is a salesman at the store going to tell a 240 lb guy with a gleam in his eyes and money in hand that the kayak will not work well for him? I would hope so, but wouldn't think so.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Ascend FS12T Kayak Review [Re: PayneFish] #10019274 05/28/14 08:07 PM
N
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
I think more often than not the Bass Pro Ascend is bought in the heat of the moment more or less without a whole lot of research other than reading reviews on BPS' website. Remember, Bass Pro has a large captive fishing audience that will have more discretionary income from the guys stepping down from their 250hp skeeters than most of us who are starting out in this sport. Bass Pro saw the growing popularity of kayak fishing and are doing their best to capitalize on the opportunity (and I'll even go as far as saying they've embraced kayak fishing by creating the Ascend line of kayaks and accessories) by putting out what I feel is very nice paddling, feature rich kayak for a very good price point.

Over a decade ago when I began kayak fishing there weren't a whole lot of options for a new kayak around $500. Mainstream Kingfish, Pelican Castaway, and OK Scrambler are just the three that come to mind. And the used kayak market was a fraction of what it was today.

The sport has come a long way since I began.

"Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water." -Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus
Re: Ascend FS12T Kayak Review [Re: lconn4] #10019469 05/28/14 09:26 PM
B
Bass Art Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted By: lconn4
Is a salesman at the store going to tell a 240 lb guy with a gleam in his eyes and money in hand that the kayak will not work well for him? I would hope so, but wouldn't think so.

You know, Louis, I'm not sure most of the salesmen (or women) would know that none of their kayaks would really be a good fit for me. What will happen is that some will be bought and when they prove to be marginal for bigger paddlers (or they malfunction as in the case of the 12T), the owners will sell them and look for something else to do. Others will be sold also, but the owner will go do their research this time and buy the right boat. Some will collect dust. It will put quite a few on the used kayak market, and those will be snatched up by new owners, some of whom will fix them and put them to good use.

The real shame of this is that Bass Pro, with all of their resources and obvious commitment to this market, have delivered a 2nd generation product that is poorly executed in some aspects.

You know, Neumie, it almost sounds like you resent the fact that newcomers to kayaking have lots of choices.

Artie
Re: Ascend FS12T Kayak Review [Re: PayneFish] #10019664 05/28/14 10:52 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Two of the three kayaks Neumie named, although entry level, the "Mainstream Kingfisher, and the OK Scrambler" are still good solid kayaks that are used today even making a name for themselves in BTB use. They don't last long when one pops up in the classifieds.
I think the Ascend line still has a way to go to reach those two kayaks.

Just one more cast!

Re: Ascend FS12T Kayak Review [Re: Bass Art] #10019675 05/28/14 10:59 PM
N
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
Originally Posted By: Bass Art
You know, Neumie, it almost sounds like you resent the fact that newcomers to kayaking have lots of choices.

If I came across that way I didn't intend to.

I do think it's a blessing and a curse by all the choices there are for new kayakers. It can be a little overwhelming with all the differences there are from hull and deck designs to accessories and custom rigging. Yes, these are just little, plastic boats, but then again they're not. My last post was merely to point out that 10 years ago an "entry level" kayak wasn't very good, especially compared to the offerings found today.

"Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water." -Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus
Re: Ascend FS12T Kayak Review [Re: PayneFish] #10019682 05/28/14 11:00 PM
D
District Paddle Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Guys, without beating around the bush, straight up, if anyone is having any issues just give us a call or come see us. We will make it right.

I am really sorry that some people are experiencing issues and I wish there was something more that I could do about it. I do know that corporate is aware of the issues (a quick look at the reviews on our website will prove this math).

I can say, alternatively, that for every person that is reporting an issue, there is a handful of other people that are loving their new kayak (trust me, I have received a staggering amount of emails, visits, and phone calls over the last week regarding the new kayak fishing team).

Here is a little trick. I actually came up with the idea to cut down on seat movement, but it turns out that it works really well for the broken/bent bracket issue. I have been out several times in the new platform, and I am just flat-out not having any problems (I am 6 foot 190 pounds for reference).

Use a thick, large size pool noodle and cut it down to size. Place it on the back pole. It takes some pretty diligent effort to get the brackets to slide into the rails, but once it is on there, it is super sturdy. Best to have a friend help by sitting or pushing down on the seat.

A really quick, easy, effective, and cheap adjustment.

Re: Ascend FS12T Kayak Review [Re: Jimbo] #10019686 05/28/14 11:03 PM
N
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
Originally Posted By: Jimbo
Two of the three kayaks Neumie named, although entry level, the "Mainstream Kingfisher, and the OK Scrambler" are still good solid kayaks that are used today even making a name for themselves in BTB use. They don't last long when one pops up in the classifieds.
I think the Ascend line still has a way to go to reach those two kayaks.

That's true, those two were solid kayaks, though they too had their faults. Granted, nothing along the lines the Ascend has with its seat.

Re: Ascend FS12T Kayak Review [Re: PayneFish] #10019690 05/28/14 11:04 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
You are 100% correct!
New models come out it seems every few months, and what was once the latest and greatest kayak is now yesterdays news.
You just have to read the posts every couple of days new guys asking, "which is the best kayak?" and it's not even an easy answer for a seasoned kayaker to give knowing what all is involved.

Just one more cast!

Re: Ascend FS12T Kayak Review [Re: Jimbo] #10019714 05/28/14 11:15 PM
D
District Paddle Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted By: Jimbo
Two of the three kayaks Neumie named, although entry level, the "Mainstream Kingfisher, and the OK Scrambler" are still good solid kayaks that are used today even making a name for themselves in BTB use.

I paddled a Scrambler for several years, and yeah, its a staple. I really regret selling it (I totally should have kept it).

Just for the sake of transparency, I paddle a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 now (and of course I pretty much have total access to the entire Ascend line).

Re: Ascend FS12T Kayak Review [Re: PayneFish] #10019762 05/28/14 11:37 PM
R
RogerB Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Looks like a decent "fix" Dean. No doubt Ascend will get some attention from BPS to address such issues before production/delivery. Now that there will be a BPS kayak fishing team, BPS would be crazy not to use that resource to provide feedback to Ascend on their products - again, during product design and development would be preferred........and necessary IMO.

Re: Ascend FS12T Kayak Review [Re: PayneFish] #10019825 05/29/14 12:07 AM
D
District Paddle Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted By: FishAll50
Looks like a decent "fix" Dean. No doubt Ascend will get some attention from BPS to address such issues before production/delivery. Now that there will be a BPS kayak fishing team, BPS would be crazy not to use that resource to provide feedback to Ascend on their products - again, during product design and development would be preferred........and necessary IMO.

Trust me, I am fighting the good fight (and will continue to do so).

But to be objective, we haven't been making kayaks for very long, guys.

Our two high-seat kayaks are "firsts" for us. Our SOT offerings haven't been around very long, either.

Our SINK kayaks are pretty darn solid, on a positive note.

Re: Ascend FS12T Kayak Review [Re: PayneFish] #10019841 05/29/14 12:13 AM
W
Workfishngolf37 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
Im new to kayaking. First thing i didnt like was that it got water in dry storage compartment while loading it into water. Second it needs more support or thicker floors. i did like the tracking and the seat. my dog broke it in by chewing up the strap that adjust the seat.

Re: Ascend FS12T Kayak Review [Re: PayneFish] #10019924 05/29/14 12:54 AM
D
District Paddle Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted By: Workfishngolf37
my dog broke it in by chewing up the strap that adjust the seat.

Can't help with that one.

smile

Thanks for all of the honest input, guys. As stated, I will make sure that corporate sees everything.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide